Add to Cart failed.
Add to Wish List failed.
Remove from wishlist failed.
Adding to library failed
Follow podcast failed
Unfollow podcast failed
Buy for $23.75
A creepy anthology of 25 of the most hauntingly scary ghost stories ever written.
- 1. Afterward by Edith Wharton
- 2. Bagnell Terrace by E. F. Benson
- 3. His Brother’s Keeper by W. W. Jacobs
- 4. A Coincidence by A. J. Alan
- 5. The Confession of Charles Linkworth by E. F. Benson
- 6. The Death Mask by H. D. Everett
- 7. The Room in the Tower by E. F. Benson
- 8. The Furnished Room by O. Henry
- 9. The Thing in the Hall by E. F. Benson
- 10. The Eyes by Edith Wharton
- 11. The Wind in the Portico by John Buchan
- 12. The Dust Cloud by E. F. Benson
- 13. My Adventure in Norfolk by A. J. Alan
- 14. Caterpillars by E. F. Benson
- 15. The Haunted Doll’s House by M. R. James
- 16. Fingers of a Hand by H. D. Everett
- 17. The Bath Chair by E. F. Benson
- 18. The Three Sisters by W. W. Jacobs
- 19. The House with the Brick Kiln by E. F. Benson
- 20. The Voice by A. J. Alan
- 21. The Parasite by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- 22. The Cat by E. F. Benson
- 23. Gavon’s Eve by E. F. Benson
- 24. The Green Light by Barry Pain
- 25.The Bus Conductor by E. F. Benson
What listeners say about Haunting StoriesAverage Customer Ratings
Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.
Reminded me of when I was read to as a child
Is there anything you would change about this book?
I enjoyed the collection very much.
If you’ve listened to books by the authors before, how does this one compare?
I like their old spook stories.
Would you listen to another book narrated by Cathy Dobson?
Yes, I quite like Cathy Dobson's narration. It is the style female readers used when I was a child. This was the way I was taught to read to other people (in the 1950s).
Was Haunting Stories worth the listening time?
I would set one and play it as I fell asleep every night.
Any additional comments?
I am not sure why the other listeners hated her delivery so much, since I enjoyed the experience thoroughly. I reckon it has to be some sort of style change that has happened over time. I suppose I simply don't understand how a lady is supposed to read a Victorian ghost story to people.
4 people found this helpful
difficult to listen to
What disappointed you about Haunting Stories?
The reader was terrible. She read in such an affected way it was impossible to concentrate on the stories so I can't really comment on them. I am usually very impressed with the quality of readers but the opposite is the case here.
Has Haunting Stories put you off other books in this genre?
No, I'll just avoid anything that is read by her.
What didn’t you like about Cathy Dobson’s performance?
I have already said it all.
Any additional comments?
I don't know how someone so bad was allowed to be a reader.
15 people found this helpful
The Scariest Thing About This Is The Readers Voice
I would rather listen to cats fighting in an alley than this narrator.. she has the most annoying voice, rather like she is being held at gunpoint whilst being stabbed with a fork whilst trying to read out loud. The scariest thing about this story is the reader's voice. Switched off after 3 minutes.
1 person found this helpful
- Bryan T Wollaston
What would have made Haunting Stories better?
These writers do not know the definition of 'haunting'. They are bleak bearing on almost dead.
Would you ever listen to anything by the authors again?
Would you be willing to try another one of Cathy Dobson’s performances?
If you could play editor, what scene or scenes would you have cut from Haunting Stories?
I would not have cut anything out.... i would have put some semblense of haunting in...
2 people found this helpful